Definition of stress-group
: a unit of speech sound constituted by a single primary stress and usually marked by relatively open juncture or pause before and after : a single syllable with primary stress or a series of syllables united by the fact that among them there is only one with primary stress
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game