variants: or less commonly streptococcic mastitis
Definition of streptococcal mastitis
: bovine mastitis caused by infection of the udder with a streptococcus (Streptococcus agalactiae or occasionally a related form), characterized by chronic progressive fibrotic changes in one or more quarters of the udder, passed readily from cow to cow in milking, and found most prevalent among stabled cattle especially in winter
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game