stop dead in one's tracksidiom (1)
Definition of stop dead in one's tracks
(Entry 1 of 2)
: to stop suddenly He stopped dead in his tracks when he heard the shout.
stop (dead) in one's tracksidiom (2)
Definition of stop (dead) in one's tracks (Entry 2 of 2)
: to stop suddenly I stopped (dead) in my tracks when I saw the bear.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game