Definition of stone pine
1 : swiss pine
2 : a pine (Pinus pinea) of southern Europe that has a wide-spreading flat-topped head and is much cultivated in warm countries for its sweet almondlike seeds
— called also umbrella pine
3 : nut pine sense a
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?