variants: or stone polygon or stone ring
Definition of stone net
: an arrangement of rock fragments and soil particles in a polygonal pattern similar to a net with the finer materials concentrated in the central part of each net or polygon and the coarser materials in the borders as a result of congeliturbation or solifluction —usually used in plural
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game