stir upphrasal verb
stirred up; stirring up; stirs up
Definition of stir up
1 : to cause (someone) to feel a strong emotion and a desire to do something The speech stirred up the crowd.
2 : to cause (something) to move up into and through the air or water The workers stirred up a lot of dust.
3 : to cause (something, usually something bad or unpleasant) to happen They're trying to stir up trouble. stirring up racial hatred His critical comments certainly stirred things up.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game