stir upphrasal verb
stirred up; stirring up; stirs up
Definition of stir up
1 : to cause (someone) to feel a strong emotion and a desire to do something The speech stirred up the crowd.
2 : to cause (something) to move up into and through the air or water The workers stirred up a lot of dust.
3 : to cause (something, usually something bad or unpleasant) to happen They're trying to stir up trouble. stirring up racial hatred His critical comments certainly stirred things up.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game