stir upphrasal verb
stirred up; stirring up; stirs up
Definition of stir up
1 : to cause (someone) to feel a strong emotion and a desire to do something The speech stirred up the crowd.
2 : to cause (something) to move up into and through the air or water The workers stirred up a lot of dust.
3 : to cause (something, usually something bad or unpleasant) to happen They're trying to stir up trouble. stirring up racial hatred His critical comments certainly stirred things up.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?