stir upphrasal verb
stirred up; stirring up; stirs up
Definition of stir up
1 : to cause (someone) to feel a strong emotion and a desire to do something The speech stirred up the crowd.
2 : to cause (something) to move up into and through the air or water The workers stirred up a lot of dust.
3 : to cause (something, usually something bad or unpleasant) to happen They're trying to stir up trouble. stirring up racial hatred His critical comments certainly stirred things up.
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/17/19
- Words with Lost Meanings
- ‘Phase’ vs. ‘Faze’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game