Definition of stegodon
1 capitalized : a genus of primitive Asiatic Pliocene and Pleistocene mammals that have molar teeth with relatively broad enamel ridges and but little cement and thus are intermediate between elephants and mastodons
2 or stegodont \ -nt \ plural -s [ stegodont from New Latin Stegodont-, Stegodon ] : an animal or fossil of the genus Stegodon
Keep scrolling for more
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game