Definition of steam distillation
: distillation (as of a substance essentially insoluble in water) assisted by steam that is usually introduced as a current into the substance to be distilled and carries over with it quantities of the more volatile components to form an aqueous distillate on condensation by means of steam distillations, volatile organic liquids may be separated from relatively nonvolatile impurities— J. H. Perry
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game