stay awayphrasal verb
stayed away; staying away; stays away
Definition of stay away
: to not go near someone or something : avoid I know I shouldn't go there, but it's hard to stay away. —usually + from Stay away from my girlfriend!He usually stays away from large crowds.I try to stay away from caffeine.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game