stave inphrasal verb
staved in; staving in; staves in
Definition of stave in
: to be broken or crushed inward or to break or crush (something) inward The hull of the boat stove in when it hit the rocks. The rocks stove in the hull of the boat.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game