statutes of mortmain
Definition of statutes of mortmain
1 : any of various English statutes restricting alienation of land in mortmain (as to an ecclesiastical corporation) for the purpose of preserving to the lords the feudal rights of relief, wardship, marriage, and escheat which conveyance in mortmain took away or of preventing undue accumulation of wealth in the hands of corporations
2 : any of various statutes having purposes similar to those set forth in the English statutes of mortmain
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?