Definition of starry flounder
: a large dark brown mottled flatfish (Platichthys stellatus) of both coasts of the north Pacific that is distinguished by a small mouth with projecting lower jaw and star-shaped tubercles scattered over the head and body and is a commercially important food fish especially along the California coast
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?