stare (someone) in the faceidiom
Definition of stare (someone) in the face
: to look directly into the eyes of (someone) She stared me in the face and told me to leave. —usually used figuratively for something that should be apparent The solution was staring me in the face.Failure was staring him in the face.They stared death in the face and didn't flinch.
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game