Definition of star-of-Bethlehem
(Entry 1 of 2)
: any of various Old World bulbous herbs (genus Ornithogalum) of the lily family with basal leaves resembling grass especially : one (O. umbellatum) with white star-shaped flowers that is naturalized in the eastern U.S.
star of Bethlehemnoun phrase
Definition of star of Bethlehem (Entry 2 of 2)
: a star which according to Christian tradition guided the Magi to the infant Jesus in Bethlehem
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game