Definition of standing cypress
: a tall erect biennial or perennial leafy-stemmed herb (Gilia rubra) having the alternate leaves pinnately divided into slender needlelike leaflets and numerous largely scarlet flowers in a terminal panicle and being native to the southern U.S. but escaped from cultivation and naturalized in areas (such as New England) outside its normal range
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game