Definition of standing cypress
: a tall erect biennial or perennial leafy-stemmed herb (Gilia rubra) having the alternate leaves pinnately divided into slender needlelike leaflets and numerous largely scarlet flowers in a terminal panicle and being native to the southern U.S. but escaped from cultivation and naturalized in areas (such as New England) outside its normal range
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game