Definition of standard atmosphere
1 : an arbitrary ideal set of atmospheric conditions (as used in calculations of aircraft performance) specifically : the international standard specifying a temperature of 15° C and 760 millimeters pressure at sea level with a vertical temperature gradient of −6.5° C per kilometer up to 11 kilometers altitude and uniform temperature of −56.5° C above that level
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game