square withphrasal verb
squared with; squaring with; squares with
Definition of square with
1 : to agree with (something) Your story doesn't square with the facts.
2 : to make (something) agree with (something) How can they square what they've done with what they've said?
3 : to get agreement about or approval of (something) from (someone) I'll go on the trip if I can square it with my parents.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game