spring upphrasal verb
sprang up or sprung up; sprung up; springing up; springs up
Definition of spring up
: to grow or appear suddenly The weeds sprang up overnight. New housing developments are springing up all over the state.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?