Definition of spring temper
: a temper induced in steel to increase its upper limit of elasticity by hardening and tempering in the ordinary way and then reheating until the steel assumes a bright blue color also : a similar temper produced in brass by an extreme amount of cold rolling
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?