Definition of spring hook
1 : a hook with a spring snap in its end to prevent accidental unhooking
— called also snap hook
2 : a supplementary fishhook that springs down and secures a fish that takes the baited barbed hook
— called also snap hook, spear hook
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?