Definition of spotted woodpecker
: any of several European and Asiatic woodpeckers having the plumage of variegated black and white: such as
b : a bird (Dendrocopos minor) resembling but smaller than the great spotted woodpecker
— called also lesser spotted woodpecker
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game