Definition of spotted hyena
Note: In addition to being an efficient scavenger, the spotted hyena is a skilled hunter, preying on various large animals (such as wildebeests, gazelles, and zebras). The spotted hyena communicates using a variety of vocalizations including groans, squeals, laughs, whoops, and growls.It's never wise to make a spotted hyena nervous. Among the deadliest of African predators, they can eat and digest whole carcasses, including skin and bones. — Natural History … female spotted hyenas are bigger and more aggressive than males. Every clan is a matriarchy ruled by an alpha female.— Steve Kemper Biologists remained unsure why spotted hyenas giggle but theorized that the giggles may express frustration. — Harper's Magazine
— called also laughing hyena
Keep scrolling for more
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?