spotted catnoun (1)
variants: or spotted catfish
Definition of spotted cat
(Entry 1 of 2)
: a widely distributed black-spotted catfish (Ictalurus lacustris) of the Mississippi drainage and the southeastern U.S. that commonly attains a weight of five pounds and is regarded as superior to most catfishes as food
spotted catnoun (2)
Definition of spotted cat (Entry 2 of 2)
: a wildcat with a blotched or spotted coat also : the pelt of such a wildcat
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game