Definition of sponge crab
1 : a female crab bearing an egg mass
2 : any of several crabs commonly found in association with sponges: such as
a(1) : grass crab
(2) : a crab of the group Dromiacea that decorates its back with sponges or ascidians
b : any of several hermit crabs of the Pacific coast of North America that excavate their homes in a living sponge (Suberites latus)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Looking at ‘Bothsidesing’
- On ‘Infringe,’ ‘Encroach,’ and ‘Impinge’
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/20/19
- A Note on the Nonbinary 'They'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?