Definition of spline
1 : a thin wood or metal strip used in building construction
2 : a key that is fixed to one of two connected mechanical parts and fits into a keyway in the other also : a keyway for such a key
3 : a function that is defined on an interval, is used to approximate a given function, and is composed of pieces of simple functions defined on subintervals and joined at their endpoints with a suitable degree of smoothness
Keep scrolling for more
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game