Definition of splash plate
: a plate (as in the tender of a locomotive) to obstruct and weaken the surge of a surrounding mass of water in motion water is discharged through tubes located in the troughs, upon splash plates which break up the water and distribute it evenly — Sweet's Catalog Service
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game