spi·ri·fer | \ ˈspīrəfə(r)\
Definition of spirifer
1 capitalized : a large genus (the type of the family Spiriferidae) of articulate brachiopods that have the arms supported within the shell by long spirally coiled spiralia which form a pair of cones with their apexes directed more or less laterally toward the ends of the long hinge line and that abound in Silurian, Devonian, and Carboniferous formations
2 or spiriferid \ spīˈrifərə̇d \ plural -s [ spiriferid from New Latin Spiriferidae family of brachiopods, from Spirifer, type genus + -idae ] : any brachiopod of Spirifer or a related genus
— called also spire-bearer
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game