Definition of spiny ray
: a fin ray that is stiff, unbranched, pointed at the end, and lacking transverse segmentation, that occurs singly or grouped in the anterior part of the dorsal fin in many fishes or in the first dorsal when there are two as well as in the anal and ventral fins, and that was in former classifications the principal character of the group Acanthopterygii —opposed to soft ray
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?