Definition of spiny mouse
1 : any of various mice of the genus Acomys that are closely related to the house mouse but distinguished by an almost entirely spiny coat, are native to the Mediterranean area, and are sometimes kept as pets in Europe
2 : any of several New World fossorial pocket mice (as of the genus Heteromys) with spiny pelage
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?