Definition of spiny dogfish
: any of various dogfishes constituting the family Squalidae and distinguished by the presence of a spine in or immediately anterior to each dorsal fin: such as
a : a common very destructive dogfish (Squalus acanthias) of both coasts of the North Atlantic that becomes about four feet long and has the fin spines stout and prominent
b : a similar dogfish (Squalus suckleyi) of the Pacific coast of North America
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game