spi·lite | \ ˈspīˌlēt\
Definition of spilite
: a very fine-grained to dense and greenish to gray-green extrusive rock of the gabbro family often vesicular or amygdaloid and generally free from phenocrysts that is composed essentially of the same minerals as diabase and shows an ophitic texture with augite grains between laths of basic plagioclase
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game