Definition of spheroidal state
: the state of a liquid (such as water) when on being thrown on a surface of highly heated metal it gathers in flattened drops or round-edged masses that are at a temperature several degrees below ebullition and are without actual contact with the heated surface owing to a cushion of nonconducting vapor
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game