Definition of special issue
1 : an issue denying or traversing one or more material points of law or fact but not the whole declaration, complaint, or indictment — compare general issue
2 : an issue raised by pleadings that may be determinative of the entire case (such as a plea of release or of infancy)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game