spa·tho·dea | \ spāˈt͟hōdēə, spāˈth-, spaˈth-\
Definition of spathodea
1 capitalized : a genus of tropical African evergreen trees (family Bignoniaceae) used as ornamentals in tropical and subtropical regions and having large odd-pinnate or ternate leaves and showy orange or scarlet flowers in terminal panicles or racemes
2 or less commonly spathodia \ " \ plural -s : any plant of the genus Spathodea
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game