spare someone's feelingsidiom
Definition of spare someone's feelings
: to avoid doing or saying something that will hurt someone emotionally : to avoid upsetting someone He admitted that he hadn't told me the whole story because he wanted to spare my feelings. We pretended to like his artwork in order to spare his feelings.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game