spare someone's feelingsidiom
Definition of spare someone's feelings
: to avoid doing or saying something that will hurt someone emotionally : to avoid upsetting someone He admitted that he hadn't told me the whole story because he wanted to spare my feelings. We pretended to like his artwork in order to spare his feelings.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game