Definition of sound like
1 : to seem to be something when heard You sound like you're tired. That sounds (to me) like a good idea. It sounds like thunder.
2 : to have a sound that is like the sound of (something else) That kitten sounds like a human baby.
3 : to have a voice that is like the voice of (someone else) I knew he must be your brother. He sounds just like you.
4 : to say something that is like what is commonly said by (someone else) You sound just like your mother when you say that.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game