soot·er·kin | \ ˈsu̇tə(r)kə̇n, ˈsüt-\
Definition of sooterkin
1 : an afterbirth formerly held to be produced by Dutch women delivered of a sooterkin not unlike to a rat— John Cleveland
2 : something that is imperfect or unsuccessful especially : an imperfect literary composition fruits of dull heat and sooterkins of wit — Alexander Pope
3 archaic : dutchman
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?