sonorous figuresplural noun
Definition of sonorous figures
: figures (such as the geometrical figures of sand on a plate of glass or metal when the bow of a violin is drawn along the edge) formed by the vibrations of a substance emitting a musical tone
— called also Chladni figures
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?