Definition of solidus
1 : an ancient Roman gold coin introduced by Constantine (4th century) and used to the fall of the Byzantine Empire (15th century)
2 [Medieval Latin, shilling, from Late Latin; from its use as a symbol for shillings] : slash sense 4
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game