Definition of solidus
1 : an ancient Roman gold coin introduced by Constantine (4th century) and used to the fall of the Byzantine Empire (15th century)
2 [Medieval Latin, shilling, from Late Latin; from its use as a symbol for shillings] : slash sense 4
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game