Definition of sodium hydride
: a flammable gray to white crystalline compound NaH that is made by reaction of hydrogen and sodium, that is decomposed by water to yield hydrogen and sodium hydroxide, and that is used chiefly in organic synthesis and in removing scale from metals
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?