Definition of sodium hydride
: a flammable gray to white crystalline compound NaH that is made by reaction of hydrogen and sodium, that is decomposed by water to yield hydrogen and sodium hydroxide, and that is used chiefly in organic synthesis and in removing scale from metals
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game