variants: or less commonly sodium acid sulfate
Definition of sodium bisulfate
: a crystalline salt NaHSO4 that gives an acid reaction in solution, that is usually made by the reaction of sulfuric acid with common salt or sodium sulfate, and that is used chiefly as a flux in pickling metals and as an acid ingredient in dyeing and cleaning compositions; sodium hydrogen sulfate
— called also niter cake
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game