soak inphrasal verb
soaked in; soaking in; soaks in
Definition of soak in
of a liquid
: to enter something by a gradual process Pour water around the base of the plant and allow it to soak in. —often used figuratively He sat quietly, letting her words soak in.Close your eyes and let the music soak in.
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?