variants: or snow rot
Definition of snow mold
1a : a disease of cereals caused by a fungus (Calonectria graminicola) and characterized by abundant superficial white mycelium when the snow melts
b : a similar disease especially of turf grasses caused by a fungus of the genera Typhula, Sclerotium or Fusarium
2 : a fungus causing a snow mold
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game