variants: or snow insect
Definition of snow fly
1 : any of several minute insects that constitute a genus (Boreus) of the order Mecoptera and sometimes appear on the snow in great numbers and in the males have vestigial wings but in the female are wingless
2 : any of several small American stone flies (especially Taeniopteryx nivalis or Capnella pygmaea) often seen on snow
3 : snow gnat
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?