sniff around/roundphrasal verb
sniffed around/round; sniffing around/round; sniffs around/round
Definition of sniff around/round
: to try to get (someone) as a romantic partner, employee, etc. His engagement hasn't stopped him from sniffing around other girls. Rival companies have been sniffing around her for years.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game