Definition of snake eel
: any of numerous scaleless eels of the family Ophichthyidae having no caudal fin and the end of the tail projecting beyond the dorsal and anal fins, abounding in tropical seas, and being often spotted like some of the venomous sea snakes
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game