Definition of smear word
: an epithet applied to a person or group in order to degrade, blacken, or make unjust or unfounded accusations time was … when independents in politics were rare and mugwump was a smear word— W. E. Binkley strained relations may be expressed in clique formation, subtle whispers and shrugs, smear words, discrimination in clubs and dances— F. J. Brown & J. S. Roucek
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game