Definition of small grain
: a cereal (such as wheat, oats, barley, rye, rice) having relatively small kernels or sometimes a relatively small plant as distinguished from a plant (such as corn) with large kernels or sometimes from a cereal (such as sorghum) with a large plant but small kernels or from a similarly cultured and used seed (such as soybean) with a relatively small plant and large seeds
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game